In the foothills, the Jeseníky region is shaped with many picturesque cities, villages, romantic castles, church monuments as well as unique technical sights.
St. Trinity Chapel in Suchá Rudná
In the middle of the village square in Suchá Rudná there is a small chapel with a belfry. It was built around 1720 and consecrated by František Valentin, a dean of Bruntál, in 1739. It is a single-nave wooden church without a vestry, ten meters long and six meters wide featuring an octagonal bell-tower above its middle part, 8 m high, tipped with a tin flag with a year sign. Hipped roof is still covered with shakes. Near the Chapel there is a monument to commemorate casualties of the First World War made by Josef Obeth, a renowned Silesian sculptor.
St. Joseph Chapel in Podlesí
Podlesí is a part of the village of Světlá Hora. Podlesí was founded in 1634 upon an impulse from Georg Wilhelm von Elkershausen, the first administrator of the Teutonic Order in Bruntál. In the beginning, Podlesí belonged to the parish of Stará Rudná, in 1860 the administration of the chapel was taken over by the rectory in Stará Rudná belonging to the Teutonic Knights. The wooden chapel first served as a belfry with a little tower. The burgrave of Bruntál had a bell cast and consecrated in honor of St. John, Charles Borromeo and Kristian. In 1776 the community rebuilt the chapel – it was enlarged, decorated, equipped with an organ and liturgical instruments and the building changed into a chapel with regular services. At the beginning of the 19th century a graveyard was established next to the chapel, surrounded by a stone wall with a shake roof.
Baroque church on the top of Anenský vrch
Anenský vrch (Annaberg), 860 m above sea level, is a dominant of Andělská Hora, mounting over the city in northwest direction. The pilgrimage church of St. Anna in Baroque style is situated on its summit. Close to the church, there is a restaurant with a terrace. On the eastern slope of the hill there is a route for downhill skiing. Anenský vrch offers a nice view of the surroundings – the panorama of the Jeseníky mountain peaks with dominating Praděd, the cities of Bruntál and Vrbno pod Pradědem.
The Bruntál castle
The castle in Bruntál, featuring a non-typical lay-out in the shape of a circular sector, Renaissance arcades and a clock tower, is the most significant historical monument in the region. Its present look is the result of a five-century historical and building development during which the original late Gothic castle was first enlarged and rebuilt in Renaissance style, at the end of 18th century received a Baroque renovation and underwent further modifications in the 19th and 20th century. Original interiors with precious furnishing survived in the castle, together with large collection of pictures, an armoury and library. The castle is a seat of the regional museum; there are museum expositions and exhibition halls and cultural and community events are held there.
Baroque pilgrimage church of Virgin Mary the Helpful
The church is situated on Uhlířský vrch (Collier's Hill), built by Jiří Friedrich Gans, a Krnov architect, on the place of the original chapel between 1755–1765. The original pilgrimage wooden chapel was built in 1653 by Oswald of Lichtenstein, the administrator of the Teutonic Order, as a well visible symbol of the victory of the Catholic church over Protestants.
The Sovinec Castle
Those who like history can visit the Sovinec Castle (Eulenberg) from the 14th century. Five courtyards and so-called Upper Castle with a view-tower are open for public. In former stables there is an exposition about the local Forestry School and the castle history and also an exhibition of tin utensils, weapons, orders and decorations. From spring to autumn the castle is a venue for cultural and historical events widely visited by public.
A place of pilgrimage in 1313 meter altitude where today only a chapel over the spring of Vřesová studánka is found; it lies on the main tourist route from Šerák to Červenohorské sedlo. According to a legend, miraculous water is running from the well; it healed an eye disorder to a local forester. According to another legend, Vřesová studánka was discovered by a hunter who chased a hurt deer in this area.
The castle of Velké Losiny
This Renaissance castle was built between 1581 and 1589 on the place of a medieval fortress, its history is related to the families of the Žerotíns and the Liechtensteins. The castle belongs among the most significant Renaissance monuments in Northern Moravia. The original part of the castle with furniture, pictures and tapestries survived almost intact, documenting the life of old noblemen families in the 16th century. In the seventeen century the Velké Losiny castle was rebuilt and surrounded with a large French park. The present castle consists of a three-wing building of the „high castle“ with three floors of arcade galleries extended in three wings of „low castle“ and two extensions: an Empire house and a salla terrena. The octagonal six-floor tower with a clock is a far visible dominant of the Velké Losiny castle.